Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Black wasp in Florida

Black Wasp
Black Wasp  
I spotted a smallish black wasp in October that was running around in the leaf litter, apparently searching for something. Sometimes it would disappear under the leaves and twigs only to reappear a several inches away. As far as a description goes, I'm not sure what to look for in wasps. It seemed to have large eyes and was shiny black all over. It was about an inch long, or just a hair under. It was on the Florida side of Perdido Bay, in the panhandle of the state.

I didn't expect an image with your description, so thank you for including that!

I strongly suspect that your wasp is something in the genus Liris .  The females hunt crickets as food for their offspring.  Here is what I wrote about them in a blog post:

Thanks for sharing your observations!  Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.