Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug Identification Follow up

Question
Bug 1
Bug 1  
Bug 2
Bug 2  
QUESTION: Hi, I found a bug crawling across my bed. It moved quickly and I have taken about eight photos. If you would be kind enough to identify this insect that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
PS I have attached two images. Thank you

ANSWER: Hi Steve
This appears to be one of the "pantry pests" It looks like a Grain beetle. It is not usually a bedroom bug but are usually found in the kitchen getting into dried food products. Look in your cupboards at all dried foods. If you see any beetles in the cupboards empty them out and wipe them out and then spray boric acud powder or diatomaceous earth in the cracks. If you see in the food products discard them. If you do not see any beetles nor any more in the bedroom tehy may just be transients and I would not worry about them. Aside from the fact trhat they may be eating your food they are harmless.

QUESTION: Hi Walter,

Thank you! I thought that it was possibly a bed bug. We came very close to that problem about four years ago. Fortunately, I caught it before I got home and heat treated everything that I didn't throw in the trash. I thought I was going to have that nightmare all over again. Thank you so much. I do have another question. We have a major moth problem now. Everything, that wasn't ruined has been taken to the cleaners and is in plastic sealed hanging containers. I am going to have to thoroughly clean out the closets, then put everything into plastic boxes and steam clean the carpets (at least that is what I am thinking that I will need to do before the winter is over and they start to "hatch"). Do I need an exterminator? Is there another way to solve that problem?

Thanks,

Steve
PS I will leave a donation if I can find a place on this site to do so.

ANSWER: The first thing you must do is be sure these are clothes moths. I rarely get questions about clothes moth because  they only feed on organig materials anf most clothes todat are artificial. There is a pantry pest moth called the Indian meal moth Did you check your cupboards as I suggested.
If you have clothes moths you are doing the correct thing by cleaning out closets and drawers. A while back we used to use Naptha (moth balls) I do not know if you can still buy them.
Personally I avoid exterminators. Many of them cannot tell one bug from another. If you cannot solve the problem yourself be sure you hire a reputable one and get a guarantee

I have received donations before through Allexperts but I do not know how you do it. I sent them an inquiry and hopefully I will get an answer

Keep me up to date with the Moths

walter

Clothes Moth 1
Clothes Moth 1  

Clothes Moth 2
Clothes Moth 2  
QUESTION: Hi Walter,

I did make the donation through PayPal. The link is on the page after rating the expert. Re: Clothes moths: Yes, they are clothes moths. They already made holes in a LOT of clothes. I didn't go through the pantries yet, but I will. The clothes moths seem to go after stuff like wool, wool blends, silk and cashmere. I actually have a picture of one that I will attach. Regarding the old moth balls, they are available, but very dangerous from a health perspective. The exterminator will give a guarantee, but that seems to me to be worthless because it is a ninety day guarantee and we are in the middle of winter here and they are not active now. Attached are two pictures. Please let me know what you think?

Thanks,

Steve

Answer
The picture does show show the clothes moth (Genus Tineola) The adult in th photo is probably  laying eggs. The caterpillar does the damage. Follow your original plan
 Donations are not necessary but appreciated. Thanks

Thanks again Steve
There was $14.56  deposited in my paypal account. I guess either allexperts or paypal takes a cut

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz