Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Spider

Tiffany wrote at 2015-11-10 09:04:33
I love jumping spiders! Yes they have great eyesight, and they're watching out for what you will do :D. It was so hard for me to catch this one big, hairy, black with white polka dots jumper in a pool house. Finally I raised the tip of my umbrella and she jumped onto it...I trapped her in a cup and took her to my backyard, where she patrolled for almost 2 years, then died of old age. Funnier: In my work lunchroom, I saw the same type in the silverware tray. Thinking it would be served better in the window sill where flies are, I lifted and carried it over and shooed her onto the sill. I then sat down at a table to eat. During the course of my meal, the spider shimmied sideways, facing me, off the sill, across the wall, and tucked behind a picture frame then peeked out at me. I stood up. She retreated behind the picture frame. I walked up to her. She played peek-a-boo with me. I sat back down. Then she boldly jumped from the frame, over the microwave, and right back onto the silverware tray!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.