Entomology (Study of Bugs)/hard-shelled poppy seed-looking eggs

I found these things, on white curtains above my plants, with a few on the leaves of one plant but about 100 on the curtains, not in clusters:
easy to flick off curtains
not able to squash them between my fingers
look like poppy-seeds
no visible legs, do not see them move
no destruction to curtains or plant leaves
don't move when I touch them

I took the curtains outside and flicked them off-had to do one at a time, did not come off with shaking out curtains. I do not have a picture because I thought I could easily find out what they were!

I moved the two plants, above which the curtains had these possible eggs,  outside and plan to spray them with bug spray.

Can you help me figure out what these were and how to control them?

Many thanks,

Dear Robin - I suggest holding off on applying any chemical control until you actually find something damaging your plants. The objects you describe do not sound like the eggs of any insect likely to be a plant pest. If you should see any more, please attach an image of one or more of them to a follow-up question. In the meantime, you might try contacting your county's office of your state's Cooperative Extension Service for advice/assistance. If you have trouble locating that office, please tell me your state of residence and I can assist you.
Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.