Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Insect on wall

Top of insect
Top of insect  

Underside of insect
Underside of insect  
Hi Walter,

I found an insect crawling on the wall of my first floor in my house in Staten Island, New York. About a week later, I found the same type of insect around the same area. I've lived in the house for about 2 yrs now and I don't believe I've ever seen this insect before. Can you please identify from the images I've attached ... And any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi Nick
These are the larvae of dermestid beetles , possibly carpet beetles or they may be kitchen peste/ Check all opened dried foods in your cupboards. Also check your carpets and upholstery and look for adults. Adult carpet beetles are rounded with a pattern on the back. Kitchen pests are brown and elongated. You may or may not have an infestation

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ