Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Insects birth

Hi, I've always wondered how some insects, such as clothes moths or worms, just appear in houses and some foods as if they were born from the air.

Thanks a lot.

Most insects develop from eggs but some insects actually give birth to live young. Insect eggs are so small that they can be present in foods that are brought into the house. For example, fruit fly eggs are common in the rinds of fruit, if the fruit is held too long in storage the flies will begin to hatch into tiny maggots. Boxed dry foods often have small numbers of insect eggs that can hatch as well. This is why we recommend that dry food, such as cereal or dry pet food, is not stored longer than about two months before it is used.

Jack DeAngelis  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology