Entomology (Study of Bugs)/spiders?????


hello, in the last 2 months I've had some sort of webbing on the outside of my house usually in the same part of the house in different places.  I've never had this before, I have a large bay window in the front,  and the side window has some of this webbing. I've always seen spider webs with a design, something you know is a spider web.  This is more of a veil type web, not even sure it's a web.  It has little things in it, which probably are small insects.  a few people think maybe a spider web others say no doesn't look like it.  I go out every time they appear and wipe it away with a broom.  But there are all these spots on the house and on the window sill that I've had to clean and they don't clean easy.  Must be their waste.  Do you know of a webbing like this, is it a spider, just doesn't look like that to me.  I live in New England if that means something.
thank you.


This type of webbing (and it is probably a spider web) is often associated with water treatment plants that have extensive outdoor lighting at night. The water treatment tanks support large numbers of aquatic insects which as adults are attracted to the lights at night which in turn brings the spiders. I don't know if any of this applies to your situation (aquatic habitat, bright lights at night) but that's what it sounds like. Post a follow up if you have questions.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jack DeAngelis


I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.


20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.