Entomology (Study of Bugs)/bugs that look like ticks in the couse

Question
bug
bug  
QUESTION: We seem to have a small swarm of these bugs near a window and scattered around the dining room and kitchen.  They move very slow and appear to be almost dying.  I have swept them up but more seem to be appearing and I can not figure out where they are coming from.  Can you help?

Thank you,
Brenda

ANSWER: Brenda,

Can you get a little closer with the camera, I can't see enough detail? If your camera won't focus any closer (try "macro" mode) send a higher resolution file and I'll enlarge it digitally.

Jack DeAngelis

bug
bug  
QUESTION: try this one....he has 6 legs

ANSWER: Looks like a spider beetle (Ptinidae), see http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/spider-beetles for an Extension bulletin from Penn State. These beetles are completely harmless but can sometimes get into stored foods like cereals and grains. Post a follow up if you have questions after looking over the Extension bulletin.

Jack DeAngelis

QUESTION: Thank you! I read the info and looked up pics of spider beetles and found a pic of one that looked just like ours with the specks.  Now i gotta see if i can find the source, but knowing  its not harmful really helps.  Thank you again!

Answer
Start checking any stored foods, including dry pet food/bird seed, that has been around longer than a couple of months. Once you locate the source dispose of anything infested, see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/cigarette_drugstore_beetle.html for suggestions for control of a related beetle.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis