Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Flying night time insect

Bed mate
Bed mate  
After my husband received some bites I put out bed bug traps but found nothing.  When I washed the bedding I found this guy in my dryer lint trap.  He's tiny, about the size of an apple seed, with big wings.  He has long back legs, like a grashopper or cricket, and his body almost has a flea shape.  I did not see him fly.  His body is a copper color and his wings are a transluscent gold.  I've never seen one in my house before.  We live in East Tennessee, and the bites happened between 7:00 and 8:00 a.m. on December 15, 2015.  We have been having an unseasonably warm winter, and have many insect friends to show for, but this one is a new one for me.

This insect is some kind of fly, and it looks like it is missing its head.

I can conclude that this is *not* a biting fly.  It is either a fungus gnat (Mycetophilidae) or scuttle fly (Phoridae), most likely the former.  It would be coincidental for it to be indoors.

You should closely inspect the bed frame, mattress seams, box springs for bed bugs.  Traps don't always get them.  Also look behind pictures on the wall, take apart any other furniture close to the bed.  Here's my post on bed bugs:

Good luck, I hope it is not bed bugs.  In that event, you may consider it is not "bug bites" your husband is experiencing, but symptoms of something else entirely.

Happy Holidays!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.