Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Insect identification

Question
Bath tub bug
Bath tub bug  
Hello, I have found this insect in my bathtub on consecutive nights. We are from central Indiana. The bug pictured is the largest of the two, but it was the same bug. I can not tell how many legs it has due to the fact I fished it out of bath water and it suffered damage. I would like to know what it is so that I can discern how to eradicate it. T

Answer
Hi, Kelly:

The insect in the image is one of the grain beetles in the family Silvanidae.  Here is more information on them:

http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/sawtoothed-and-merchant-grain-beetle

http://extension.umaine.edu/ipm/ipddl/publications/5034e/

Personally, I would advise *against* using insecticides.  Simply find the source of the infestation and discard the item(s).  Store vulnerable foodstuffs in glass, metal, or durable plastic containers with tight-fitting lids to prevent future infestations (or at least contain existing ones if the product was infested prior to purchase).

The presence of grain beetles is not in itself a health threat, but it could be an indication of fungi or mold in the infected product.

This is not something requiring an extermination service.

Best wishes for quick and easy resolution.  Happy holidays, too!

Eric  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton