Entomology (Study of Bugs)/mites

Question
I am currently dealing with a mite problem. I had a bird nest removed from my chimney which I suspect was the problem. Then had it capped. I now need to figure out how to get them out of the house, as both my cats and I are being bitten.

I am bagging everything during the week and plan to cedar fog this weekend.  My question concerns all the things i am bagging. How do I handle the things that cannot be washed? Rugs, pillows, shoes,purses etc. How long do they remain bagged, and does it help to put in moth balls? I appreciate your time and feedback.
Thanks, Debbie

Answer
Hi Debbie
I do not get many questions about bird mites But they can be a real problem as you have seen. The Cedar fog may be the answer as fogs get into all the cracks.  Bird mites tend to permeate the whole house. Have a vet examine and treat the cats as they can become a breading ground. If the nest in the chimney was the source then at least it has been eliminated.
If fogging does not work I would suggest a reputable exterminator. I rarely suggest this as I have found that most exterminators often do not know what they are talking about. I am sure however that there are some that can help you. If you hire one check references and seek a guarantee.  Sorry that I cannot help you more

walter

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz