Entomology (Study of Bugs)/soil inhabtants

Question
soil inhabitants
soil inhabitants  
I don't know what this is.... its crawling in the soil...it was collected at 3:45 pm.

Answer
John:

I don't know that much about insects of the Philippines, but I *can* tell you that these are cockroaches, either nymphs, or wingless adults.

They remind me most of nymphs of the Surinam Cockroach, Pycnoscelus surinamensis , but I cannot be positive.  That species is certainly found around the globe now, having been transported in commerce.

Remember not all roaches are household pests.  The vast majority, especially in tropical regions, are important decomposers that turn decaying organic matter into soil.

Happy holidays to you!

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton