Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Ant identification

Question
Mystery Ant
Mystery Ant  
Greetings,

I live in Middlesex County, which is in central New Jersey.  We are in the midst of bathroom renovations and have discovered some ants have taken up residence somewhere in the bedroom closet (which borders the bathroom wall) or the bathroom.  I have seen them in both locations.  This particular ant was found in the sink today, but most of the others I have seen are just your everyday black ants.  I was just curious as to what type this is, I've never seen stripes before or the white body.  Thanks so much for your time.  

Kind Regards,
Laurie

Answer
Laurie:

My apologies for the delay in answering your question.

Since this ant was found in the sink, the "white" stripes are actually the fleshy sections between the shell portions of the abdomen...in other words, this ant is full.  Probably full of water it took from the sink and is carrying it back to the colony to share.

As for the size of ant...if it is 3/8" or larger, I'm going to say that this is a carpenter ant.  There is a species called the Pennsylvania Carpenter Ant, or Black Carpenter Ant that is very common in the eastern US and nests in homes where there is water damage in the wall.  They excavate the damaged wood and nest there.  Walls and areas near windows, bathrooms and kitchens are popular sites.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Nathan Riggs