Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug ID

Hi Ed,

I found this bug crawling on my work keyboard, after spending time with someone, a few days prior, who I know has had bed bugs in the past, and am not sure has taken care of them. I just wanted to make sure I didn't traffic any bed bugs home with me.

Dear Ann - Although your images are not clear enough for me to be confident of an identification, your critter looks more like a small beetle than a bed bug. You might have a look in your pantry/food storage areas for signs of anything infesting dry products such as spices, baking mixes, dried fruit/nuts, dry pasta products, etc.
Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.