Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug identification

Question
bugs in bag
bugs in bag  

Piranah
Piranah  
Hi, I brought back to Australia with me, a lacquered piranha, that I had purchased on the Amazon in Brazil. I have had it sitting in my lounge, for some years now. But, this morning I noticed that it was shedding its' inner (dust etc). Upon tapping it, about 50 bus have now been knocked out, through the mouth (and eye sockets). I have attached 2 photos. I would like to think they are local Queensland Australian bugs, but have never seen them before. Perhaps they are Brazilian from a dormant egg? Can you offer me some advice please?
Thanks, Andrew.

Answer
Dear Andrew - These are larvae of beetles in the family Dermestidae (carpet/hide/skin/larder beetles, etc.), possibly in the genus Anthrenus, These have a cosmopolitan, virtually worldwide, distribution. Their affinity for eating animal protein not only has made them pests to some degree, but also valuable assets to those wanting to obtain very clean skeleton mounts of animals. In your case, to prevent further damage to your specimen, I suggest placing it in a freezer (at least -20C) for a week or more. and then keeping it in an insect=proof case.
Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad