Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Any idea what this is?

Question
Compared to a penny
Compared to a penny  

One of the 4
One of the 4  
So last night I killed 3 tiny bugs on my bed! They were all right on top of my bed/comforter and I worried they were bed bugs but looked under the sheets and all around the books of the mattress and didn't see anymore! Tonight, again right on the top of my comforter, I've found 4 total and this time I took pictures and with the last one captured him in tape so I could show someone if needed! My mom menrioned cockroaches, which I'm REALLY hoping they're not cause I have a huge fear of those!!! They're tiny, I've only seen them on top of my bed/comforter, they crawl slowly, are tiny, have a shell of sorts that makes them harder to squish... I feel like the pictures don't look accurate but I think it's just because they're too small to see much detail until you see them close up in a picture! Any ideas?

Answer
Hi, Amy:

Thank you for including the images with your question.  I can assure you they are NOT cockroaches OR bed bugs.

These are beetles of some kind, likely in the family Silvanidae, of which several species are common, widespread "stored product pests," mostly of grains and their derivatives (cereals, etc).  Here's more:

http://bugeric.blogspot.com/2011/01/merchant-grain-beetle.html

and

http://bru.gmprc.ksu.edu/db/insect/search_results.asp

The second link is a database of images of common stored product pest insects.  Unfortunately, there is precious little information about silvanid beetles that is readily accessible to the public.  Most of our collective knowledge is tied up in scientific journals, and publications aimed at industrial food storage enterprises.

Hope this sets your mind at ease.  I suggest going through the pantry and trying to find the source of the infestation.  This includes dry pet food, bird seed, etc.  Simply discard the infested item(s) and store vulnerable foodstuffs in glass, metal, or durable plastic containers with tight-fitting lids.  Cardboard boxes and cellophane packaging offers no barrier to hungry insects.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton