Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Insect

Question
Insect
Insect  
Can you please identify this insect?  The photo was taken July 20, 2014 in Mahoning County in Ohio at 10PM.  The insect is on the sheet I had set up with a black light. Thank you.

Answer
Hi, Leslie:

Thank you for including the image with your question.  The creature is a "hangingfly," a type of scorpionfly in the order Mecoptera.

This one is the species Hylobittacus apicalis , a usually day-active species.  Here's more about it:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/25040

You might want to register on Bugguide.net (for free), and add your very clear image to the species page there.

Hangingflies are predatory, and it looks like this one has a victim in the prehensile claw of its left rear leg.  These insects are amazing in the way they manipulate a victim to their beak-like mouth, all the while dangling from their front legs.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton