Entomology (Study of Bugs)/5-6 cm beetle type bug

Question
QUESTION: I recently found a 5-6 cm beetle upside down in a pool and turned it over to recupérate.  Had transparent wings, a large black body.  The next morning what looked like the same beetle was outside my bedroom window making a loud rattling noise, its butt was vibrating.  The funny thing is that the pool is on the ground floor of my building and the beetle was on a ledge outside on the 16th floor. Your profile says the USA, I live in Cali Colombia in a tropical climate and am assuming this is a tropical type of bug.  (I am an ex-pat living abroad)  Thanks.

ANSWER: Hi Esperanca,

Thanks for the question! I would love to help you figure out what beetle it is. Please send a photo if you can get one.

Best,
Jessica

QUESTION: Unfortunately, it did not occur to me to photograph the beetle when it was making an awful racket outside my bedroom window.

Where can I look online at pictures of beetles to see if I can identify it by memory?  

Thanks,

Esperanca

Answer
Esperanca,

Yes, there are some sites where you can look through images. One very good one is http://bugguide.net/node/view/15740 Another is http://www.insectidentification.org/identifying.asp

If you are having trouble finding your beetle online, you shouldn't feel bad. There are over 350,000 beetle species, and many have to be identified using microscopes, but if you can narrow your search using your location you might get lucky!

Also, I recommend looking around your building for more. There are likely others. If you find one, take a photo and I will be happy to help.

Good luck!

Best,
Jessica

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger