Entomology (Study of Bugs)/5-6 cm beetle type bug

QUESTION: I recently found a 5-6 cm beetle upside down in a pool and turned it over to recupérate.  Had transparent wings, a large black body.  The next morning what looked like the same beetle was outside my bedroom window making a loud rattling noise, its butt was vibrating.  The funny thing is that the pool is on the ground floor of my building and the beetle was on a ledge outside on the 16th floor. Your profile says the USA, I live in Cali Colombia in a tropical climate and am assuming this is a tropical type of bug.  (I am an ex-pat living abroad)  Thanks.

ANSWER: Hi Esperanca,

Thanks for the question! I would love to help you figure out what beetle it is. Please send a photo if you can get one.

QUESTION: Unfortunately, it did not occur to me to photograph the beetle when it was making an awful racket outside my bedroom window.

Where can I look online at pictures of beetles to see if I can identify it by memory?  

Yes, there are some sites where you can look through images. One very good one is Another is

If you are having trouble finding your beetle online, you shouldn't feel bad. There are over 350,000 beetle species, and many have to be identified using microscopes, but if you can narrow your search using your location you might get lucky!

Also, I recommend looking around your building for more. There are likely others. If you find one, take a photo and I will be happy to help.

Good luck!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger

I can answer questions about invertebrates native to California, including insects commonly found in homes. If you have an identification request, please attach a photo to your question.

I was involved in collection and identification of invertebrates for the United States Geological Survey, Biological Resources Division for six years. Also, I provided these same services intermittently for the UC Davis John Muir Institute of the Environment for many years. I have been a member of since 2009.

Department of the Interior: United States Geological Survey, Davis Field Station; University of California, Davis Aggie Alumni Association; UC Davis Center for Neuroscience; U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs

I have two B.A.'s from the University of California, Davis and two Associate's degrees from Sacramento City College.

Special Thanks for Achieving Results award from the Department of the Interior