Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Big identification

I live in a two bedroom apartment that is on the ground floor of the complex, my bed is against the wall & most times when I come home from school, I wake up in the middle of the night with itchy, annoying welt on my body. My grandmother had bed bugs in her apartment before & she got rid of them, but last summer she got sick & had to move in with us, Im beginning to think that some of the things she had in storage, had bed bugs on them & they're now in my house. The problem is, I'm the only one being bitten. I've attached a picture of a bug I saw crawling on my pillow after waking up with welts. Is this a bed bug?

Hi, Annika:

Yes, that would be a bed bug.

It is quite possible that everyone in the household is being bitten, but you are the only one *reacting* to the bites.

Here is a blog post I wrote about bed bugs that should answer most of your questions, and point you to additional resources:

There should be no social stigma attached to having bed bugs, since any household, motel, 5-star hotel, etc can have them.  Don't let the apartment management coerce you into paying for extermination services throughout the complex.  There is no real way of knowing the point of origin.  It could be that the neighbor traveled and came back with bed bugs, for all you know.

Take care, you have my best wishes for a swift and smooth resolution to this.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.