Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Black carpet beetle

Hello Eric I just read a response you made to Mark from 2010 regarding this insect however I have a dog who's fur gets everywhere & I've found now 2nd bug in my bed where my infant now sleeps I've had this bed for about 7yrs lived in this house for 3 and my question is does it eat ear wax? And if I sprinkle down some 7 dust or boric acid on the floor behind the bed & window seal will that kill them

Without seeing at least an image of the insect in question (preferably a specimen), I am not inclined to offer information that may not be accurate or specific to the creature.

That said, nothing is absolute.  Insects that enter the human ear make headlines specifically *because* they are such incredibly rare events.  It is not even worth worrying about.

I do not recommend chemical treatments of any kind for carpet beetles. Keeping the house clean is the best prevention, along with properly storing vulnerable linens and clothing, food.  Here are my posts on carpet beetles and the larger but related larder beetle:

Those links should give you all the information and tips you desire.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.