Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What is this bug?

Question
QUESTION: I am from Malaysia and I noticed a bug resting on the door of my friend's house this morning. It has gone by the time we returned to his home. We have never seen something like this before. Is it a harmful bug/ insect that bites or feeds on people? There is a two-year-old kid living in his house. We hope that you can help us to identiy its name and  characteristics as soon as possible. Thank you.

ANSWER: Jason:

No image, no description, nothing for me to go on.  Plus, I am an expert on North American (United States, Canada) insects and arachnids only....and I state that on my page.

Eric

Bug
Bug  
QUESTION: I apologize as I did not upload the image properly due to some technical problem. By the way, I am sure that you as an expert will have the interest and will to explore the bugs/ other creatures all around the world. Perhaps you have known about this bug too.
Thank you and I apologize for what I did. Here's the image.(Let me know if it  is not uploaded successfully)

Answer
Jason:

Ok, that is much better.  Nice image of a remarkable insect.

That is a katydid of some kind (family Tettigoniidae), and perhaps in the genus Olcinia or Sathrophyllia .  The posture it is adopting in the image suggests one of those two genera, anyway.

Piotr Naskrecki is probably the world authority on katydids, and if you were able to find a way to contact him (even through Facebook), he could give you a much more accurate answer.

Anyway, thanks so much for the follow-up, and sharing the image.

Sincerely,

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton