Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What bug is this ( freaking out)

Question
Bug
Bug  

Same bug
Same bug  
I lifted my mattress and saw this one bug alive. What is it?
Jenna A

Answer
Hi, Jenna:

Thank you for including the images with your question.  Please do not panic, it is *not* a bed bug.

The insect is an adult carpet beetle in the genus Anthrenus , family Dermestidae.  Here is a blog post I did on these insects that has all the information you need to know:

http://bugeric.blogspot.com/2014/10/carpet-beetles-genus-anthrenus.html

So, no worries about some blood-sucker in bed with you, but you might want to check your home for dried animal products that might be infested, and then discard those items.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton