Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What bug is this ( freaking out)

Same bug
Same bug  
I lifted my mattress and saw this one bug alive. What is it?
Jenna A

Hi, Jenna:

Thank you for including the images with your question.  Please do not panic, it is *not* a bed bug.

The insect is an adult carpet beetle in the genus Anthrenus , family Dermestidae.  Here is a blog post I did on these insects that has all the information you need to know:

So, no worries about some blood-sucker in bed with you, but you might want to check your home for dried animal products that might be infested, and then discard those items.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.