Entomology (Study of Bugs)/crawling bug

crawling bug
crawling bug  

could you please help me in identifying this kind of bug. this is already the second one I've seen in my room and this one was on my bed last night. are they harmful to my 2yr old or me? how do I get rid of them? Should i be worried? do they bite and what are signs of infestations if any? thank you

Hi Leann
These are carpet beetles. They do not bite and can not hurt you or your children but they can cause property damage. To get rid of them you will have to locate the source. The larvae are brown with bristles. Look for them. You may have a mild infestation. Look under your carpets and in chairs. Get a pyrethrin based spray and spray around baseboards. Also check opened dried foods in your cupboards. If you cannot locate the source or the number of then increases you may need to consult an exterminator. But be careful about who yu choose as nmany of them are unreliable.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ