Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Ladybugs

I had five ladybugs inside my apt, however, if I kept them inside the apt in a corner of a window and my mom found them she would kill them. I didnt really want to put them outside due to the fact I am afraid they would either die from the cold nights and/or be eaten, so I put them in between the window screen and the glass window and covered them with a tissue.  So they are inside the apt but not directly in my bedroom.

My question: Can the tissue keep them warm?

Hi, Debbie:

Insects are incredibly durable, and your lady beetles (not "bugs") would likely survive with or without the tissue.  Still, that is a kind gesture.

Second, chances are the beetles are the non-native Multicolored Asian Lady Beetle, Harmonia axyridis , and they really don't belong here anyway. It is nice to be kind to animals, but some are what we call "invasive species," and they can do more harm than good.

Anyway, I would not worry much about them.  They are built to withstand harsh weather, certainly much more than *I* can tolerate!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.