Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Mystery bug in my uncle's house

Question
Underside of bug
Underside of bug  

Bug in uncles hand
Bug in uncles hand  
This lovely bug flew into my uncle's house, I guess he found one the night before and set it free, the next day it, or a different one flew in. So my question is, what is it? We normally don't get bugs this big in Washington.

Answer
Michelle:

The images depict an insect that does not occur naturally in Washington state.  It is a giant grasshopper, Tropidacris cristata , or something closely allied in the genus Tropidacris .

These are insects of the New World tropics, so you won't find them naturally north of about central Mexico.

http://robertoelman.photoshelter.com/image/I00001owKbjSH.zU

Did your uncle recently import anything from Mexico, Central America, or South America?  That would be the most logical explanation.  Could also have come in on produce from a tropical country.

It might be helpful to try and trace its origins and then report it to the state department of agriculture.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton