Entomology (Study of Bugs)/WIll they be ok

I had five ladybugs inside my apt, however, if I kept them inside the apt in a corner of a window and my mom found them she would kill them. I didnt really want to put them outside due to the fact I am afraid they would either die from the cold nights and/or be eaten, so I put them in between the window screen and the glass window and covered them with a tissue.  So they are inside the apt but not directly in my bedroom.

My question: Can the tissue keep them warm?

Dear Debbie - My best guess is that the tissue would provide very little protection from cold temperatures (the beetles themselves do not produce any body heat that the tissue would trap). That aside, the biggest threat to their survival would be desiccation (drying out from lack of water). To prevent that, you might try placing a raisin or two that has been soaked in water near them. See http://tinyurl.com/njnyjxy for some suggestions on keeping lady beetles in captivity.

Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.