Entomology (Study of Bugs)/ticks?

I've been removing these bugs off my dog for the past week. His bed is loaded with them, as well as making their way into my bed. Can you please tell me what they are? They very small and black.

These are fully fed seed ticks.  Seed ticks are the immature tick stage that hatch from the egg. They have fully fed on your dog and are now dropping off to go somewhere quiet, digest their meal and shed to the next stage, where they will again seek a warm-blooded host for a meal.

After their next feed, they will again drop off, find a quiet place to digest their meal and shed their skin to become adult ticks.

Collect and kill/vacuum every one of these that you find.

Unfortunately, at this stage, it is virtually impossible to identify the ticks to species.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Nathan Riggs

I currently live in San Antonio, TX and have expertise in identifying insects, many types of spiders, and other arthropod critters that infest lawns, ornamentals, structures, trees, pets and livestock. Mites are not a strong point of mine. I'm not a licensed doctor, so I cannot provide medical diagnosis of conditions possibly related to insects or other arthropods. If you've got an interesting photo for me to see, attach it to your question, or let me know and I'll give you my email so the picture will get to me. If you have hosted an insect photo on a website, please include the link so I can go look at it and provide a faster ID for you. You may also join my group page on Facebook and post your picture at www.facebook.com/groups/antmans.hill/.

22+ years' experience as an entomologist: 5 years as a biologist with Merck Animal Health (I was part of the R&D team that worked to develop FrontLine flea and tick products) and 7 years as an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Specialist in San Antonio, Texas with Texas Cooperative Extension.

Veterinary Parasitology, Southwestern Entomologist, San Antonio Express News, San Antonio Gardener Newsletter, Master Gardener SCION Newsletter, GardenStyleSA e-Newsletter

BS - Entomology from Texas A&M University in 1992.

Board Certified Entomologist, 1996-2000 - Medical and Veterinary Entomology Specialty (Entomological Society of America)

2000 Texas A&M University Vice Chancellor's Award in Excellence for leadership on the Texas Fire Ant Program Educational Team.