Entomology (Study of Bugs)/bug identification please

2nd photo
2nd photo  
Hello. Just spotted this bug right now. It is Tuesday,  April 28, 2015. I live in Northern Delaware.  I spotted this in my bedroom,  dead, next to a cracked window. I think I've seen more of them in the past. If I remember correctly,  one near the kitchen window and another near the kitchen sliding door. Not sure if they are baby house flies, nats, or what, but last summer we had a bit of a house fly problem and we couldn't figure out how or where they're coming from. Again,  just wanted to know what it is and if we should do something about it.  Thanks in advance.

Hi Serenity,

Thanks for the question and the very clear photos. Don't worry-- it is not a house fly. It is an ant. Ants can be house pests too, so if you start to see a lot of them, I recommend putting out some ant baits. Raid makes good ant baits.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger

I can answer questions about invertebrates native to California, including insects commonly found in homes. If you have an identification request, please attach a photo to your question.

I was involved in collection and identification of invertebrates for the United States Geological Survey, Biological Resources Division for six years. Also, I provided these same services intermittently for the UC Davis John Muir Institute of the Environment for many years. I have been a member of since 2009.

Department of the Interior: United States Geological Survey, Davis Field Station; University of California, Davis Aggie Alumni Association; UC Davis Center for Neuroscience; U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs

I have two B.A.'s from the University of California, Davis and two Associate's degrees from Sacramento City College.

Special Thanks for Achieving Results award from the Department of the Interior