Entomology (Study of Bugs)/is this a carpet beetle or something else

Question
Tiny Round Black Bug
Tiny Round Black Bug  
I live in the United States in Pittsburgh, Pa.  My cat found this bug and chose not to eat it so I had squashed it. It seemed to me to make a slight crunch sound when I squashed it.  It looks like it is round, maybe 1/16 or 1/32 of an inch or less, has what appears to be two segments one small head and a larger body and appears to have six legs. It may have been slightly smaller than a ladybug in nature.  On closer examination, but barely noticeable it look like it may have had two faint brown stripes on its back.  I could not find a picture online to tell me for sure what it was.

Answer
Dear Michelle - The image quality is not sufficient for me to make a positive identification, but based on your verbal description, it may well have been a carpet beetle. If you encounter any others, please try to get a clear picture of its topside without crunching it. I suggest that you first place it in a small container and then put it in a freezer for a while. That will either kill it, or at least keep it from moving long enough for you to photograph it.

Hope this helps,
Saugy  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad