Entomology (Study of Bugs)/I.D. Spider

Spider, Miami, FL
Spider, Miami, FL  

Spider, Miami sideview
Spider, Miami sideview  
What kind of spider? Found in tool shed in Miami, Florida, April 18, 2015, at 2PM. It's sitting on the 1 1/2 side of a 2X4 piece of lumber, so the body is about 1/2 inch long. It is very flat. Could not find a match on any of the spider websites.

Hi, Javier:

Believe it or not, this spider is called a "flattie," in the genus Selenops , family Selenopidae.  I wrote a blog post about them awhile back:

Neat spiders, harmless, and usually nocturnal.

Thanks for sharing the nice images!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.