Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Could you please identify?

Question
Bug 1
Bug 1  

Bug 2
Bug 2  
Hello, I had contacted you about a year ago to ask you to identify a bug for me.  Thank you so much for your response! I was wondering if you could identify this bug and tell me if it has anything to do with a recent vegetation fire somewhat near me. There was a vegetation fire in Chino, CA and the wind blew the smoke along with huge, long ashes (like burnt grass) all the way to Riverside, CA. The very next day my house inside and out have been infested with this bug. They don't fly, but if they are crawling on the wall, they drop when you get near them.  They are all sizes. I have sprayed bug spray for 3 days straight and while more than half of them die, there are a million more crawling around. They are everywhere in my backyard and my community has them all over the sidewalks. It's like they are invincible! What are these bugs and do they have anything to do with the recent fire? And are they harmful? Thank you so much for your time.
Rachael

Answer
Rachael,

The image is too small to see clearly but it looks like an immature bug (Hemiptera) probably one that feeds on plants like Miridae. These bugs can occur in huge numbers and can be picked by storms and moved from place to place. I think your suspicion that these are associated with the fire/winds may be correct. The good news is that they are harmless and can be swept up. They won't multiple so this "invasion" should only be temporary.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis