Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Re: small black bugs in home

Question
Black bugs
Black bugs  

Black bugs
Black bugs  
Hello! I took this picture of these small black bugs that I found in my kitchen in the corner of my floor cabinets. I was wondering if these are an infestation that I have to worry about. If you notice in the picture, there is a small worm in the left corner that I picked up with my tissue. Thanks for your help!

Answer
Dear Jennifer - Unfortunately, the image quality is not sufficient for me to be confident of any positive identification of your beetles. However, as the 'worm' on your tissue looks like a larva of a carpet/hide beetle in the genera Attagenus or Dermestes. If you see more of those worm-like critters, you may have an infestation that you should address. Just in case, see http://tinyurl.com/yun78p for a publication on carpet beetles and their control.
Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad