Entomology (Study of Bugs)/tiny tiny black bug on sill

tiny black bug
tiny black bug  
QUESTION: I live i Massachusetts and have tiny tiny black bugs on window sill about 50 or so. First time i have seen then. What are they and how do i get rid of them.

ANSWER: Janiene,

This is a beetle, possibly a spider beetle. I can't see enough detail to be certain and the color is wrong for a spider beetle but the size and shape suggest a spider beetle. Spider beetles are harmless. If you can get another picture, perhaps from another angle, I'd be glad to take another look.

Jack DeAngelis

tiny black bug
tiny black bug  

tiny black bug 2
tiny black bug 2  
QUESTION: They move very slow. I thought it was dirt until i saw it move. It got dark and they seem to have gone. A few still around.

Ok, the top image is clearly a carpet beetle, probably the varied carpet beetle, not a spider beetle. This makes a lot more sense. See for a bit more about these beetles. They are harmless as well but can infest a wide variety of stored foods, including dry pet food.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology