Entomology (Study of Bugs)/wasp identification

Question
wasps
wasps  

wasp
wasp  
Dear Eric,
Thank you for your blog, I enjoy it.  

I find these wasps in my garden in central Wyoming.  They are present throughout the summer. These photos were taken in July and August.  There are always about 7 or so of them.  They fly very fast, and I identify them in flight as a white blur.  They are also the most shy of the wasps I have tried to photograph.  Sometimes I think they are in the Family Vespidae, other times I am not sure.   

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Answer
Hi, Sheila:

Wow, those are really nice images, thank you for sharing.

You are correct, they are members of the Vespidae family.  Specifically, they are mason wasps in the subfamily Eumeninae.  They are solitary, each female constructing her own nest, usually in a pre-existing cavity but sometimes making a free-standing mud nest, or tunneling into the soil.  This is a diverse group and their nesting habits vary accordingly.

The females paralyze caterpillars as food for their offspring.  Both genders feed on nectar, aphid honeydew, and other carbohydrates.

Males have hooked antennae, and the one on the flower is definitely a male.  I think the other one is a female.

Feel free to e-mail me if you wish and give me permission to share the images with experts who specialize on mason wasps.  We might at least get a genus ID out of that effort.

BugEric247ATgmailDOTcom

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton