Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Worm like bugs in my carpet!!!

We have recently moved into a apartment and when I was cleaning the carpet in the beginning I noticed a few of these. After 3 months today I noticed nearly some 20 and they were looking slightly big and fat than the ones I saw earlier. What are these? I have a two year old who plays on  thecarpet all d time.. He has developed a sort of rash which d doc said is due to allergy. Could these be the reason??

I read about carpet beetles larvae but I Dont seem to notice any hairs on this..

Dear lalita - The image you provided is not clear enough for me to be certain, but it might be a larva of a carpet beetle in the genus Attagenus, see for example. To the best of my knowledge, these have not been implicated as a cause of allergic reactions in humans, but those in other genera (such as Trogoderma) have. However, this appears to require long-term exposure to heavy infestations.

Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.