Entomology (Study of Bugs)/what is it?

Question
insect.?
insect.?  
A friend took a pic of this in the morning, fri april 3 In pueble colorado. Never seen or heard of it any info would be great thanks lucas. Looks like it has 12 legs.?

Answer
Dear Lucas - This is a house centipede, Scutigera coleoptrata. It is a very common species having a cosmopolitan distribution. Fully grown adults have 16 pairs of legs.  They have quite good eyesight for centipedes, and actively hunt down their prey (usually other small arthropods, mostly insects). If you see several of these, especially within a relatively short period of time, it could indicate the presence of an insect infestation. Be careful if you attempt to capture one of these, as they reportedly can deliver a fairly painful bite. See http://tinyurl.com/mn7mzf for more detailed information.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Thank you for your kind comments, but I just realized that I made a mistake in my answer; these have 15, not 16 pairs of legs as adults...

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad