Entomology (Study of Bugs)/bug id

Question
bug
bug  
QUESTION: ive recently noticed these teeny tiny bugs crawling around on my desk. they are smaller than pinpoint. in the photo ive tried to get the tip of a pen as scale, but the clarity of my camera phone is limited. ive not seen them jump or fly, only crawl. every morning i would wipe the desk clean, but the next morning they would be there again (around 10ish each morning). also noticed that if i have the AC on, they reappear rather quickly. can you please help identify these bugs? thanks!

ANSWER: Jen:

I....can't tell conclusively from your image, but....

Many springtails don't....spring, so it could still be a springtail.  Here is my blog post on springtails, maybe it will help you to decide whether that is what you have:

http://bugeric.blogspot.com/2014/11/springtails.html

Please feel free to get back to me if the above link does not furnish answers to all your questions, and/or you decide that springtails are *not* what is bothering you.

Eric

QUESTION: Eric:

thank you for your response, but they dont really look like springtails. the bugs r too small for the naked eye to see clearly, but im pretty sure they dont have those antenna looking things. they also look smaller than springtails. i was wondering if they could possibly be mold mites?

Answer
Jen:

Well, I hate to excuse myself on a technicality, but mites are not insects; and I am by no means a mite expert.

Sound like you need to take intact specimens to a local entomologist at a university, natural history museum, state department of agriculture office, or even the public health department (vector control division will have at least one staff entomologist). He or she can then put them under a microscope and render an informed verdict.

The most I can do from here is guess, and that would not be helpful *or* responsible.  Please let me know what you find out, so I can better help the next person.  Thank you.

Sincerely,

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton