Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What bug is this and how do I get rid of them?

White bug on headboard
White bug on headboard  
Hello! I need help figuring bout what this little white bug could be. I don't think it's bed bugs but I'm not sure. I've found them crawling on me as well as my bed. Any assistance you can provide would be helpful. It was hard to get a good picture because they are so tiny.

Dear Rita - The image you provided of your critter is too small for me to see enough detail for a confident identification; about all that I can say is that it does not look like a bed bug to me, and likely is something harmless. However, rather than having me (or anyone else at AllExperts) guess at its identity, I suggest that you use a moistened Q-Tip or similar object to place one or more of them into a small container of rubbing alcohol, and submit that to your county office of Oklahoma State University's Cooperative Extension Service for assistance in identification as well as any control recommendations, if needed - see for links to contact information. Extension service offices usually are a good resource when dealing with most home/yard/garden pest problems.
Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.