Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Dragonfly look-alike

Question
QUESTION: My boyfriend found this bug in his room and we have no idea what it is. I thought it was a form of a dragonfly but I can't find anything like it anywhere. Please tell me what it is as soon as possible!!!
file:///C:/Users/shannonb/Downloads/11293509_1438304869809204_867422027_o.jpg

ANSWER: Stephanie:

There is no image, and the file is one that is on your computer, not a "shared" file somewhere on the internet.

Further, you do not tell me where on the planet this is.  Without this information I cannot be of help.  Please feel free to re-submit, with a proper image attachment or link to a photo-sharing site; and include geographic location, as specific as possible.  Thank you.

Eric

QUESTION: Sorry, I assumed the link followed to the picture. This should work. He lives in Merrillville, Indiana. It seems to look like the body of a butterfly with wings of a dragonfly?It's pretty large in size.  https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11219384_1438338343139190_5362435219463417723_n.jpg?oh=62d9ad3e9145be1e55b27ad43561055b&oe=56033DBD

Answer
Hi, Stephanie:

Ah, much better!

The organism in the image is a type of ichneumon wasp in the family Ichneumonidae, subfamily Ophioninae.  Here's more about them:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/43468

Basically, the adult wasps are nocturnal, and often attracted to lights at night.  The female wasp stings a caterpillar into brief paralysis and lays an egg on it.  The wasp larva that hatches feeds as an internal parasite of the caterpillar, but the caterpillar continues to grow.  Eventually the caterpillar spins a cocoon and pupates, and the wasp larva does the same thing, killing its host.  So, the wasp eventually emerges from the caterpillar host's cocoon.

Ophionines are among the few ichneumons that can actually sting, so I don't recommend grabbing them.  Simply usher them into a container, take them back outside, and release them.  Then they can continue killing pest caterpillars.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton