Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Inaect ID

Small black insect
Small black insect  
If you could please take a look at to image is posted and let me know if you can figure out what it is. It was found covering a roof top terrace in wester New York region and we are unable to identify it as of yet. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you!

Dear Vincent - Unfortunately, the image of your insect is not clear enough to be certain even as to which order it belongs, let alone anything more specific. About all I can say is that it does not appear to be anything I would consider a serious pest. If you cannot obtain a clearer image, i suggest that you capture some of them and submit them to your nearest office of Cornell University's Cooperative Extension Service (see http://tinyurl.com/44uopbo for contact information). Someone there should be able to assist in identification and determine whether any control measures are needed, extension service offices usually are a good resource when dealing with most home/yard/garden pest problems.
Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.