You are here:

Entomology (Study of Bugs)/what kind of bug is this


what is this
what is this  
I am finding lots of these small bugs around my windows inside. They crawl on the floor and window area, but I think they can fly. They are hard shelled.
What are they and how do I get rid of them??


This is a beetle but I'd need a clearer picture to id much further. Try using a flashlight or other light source to add a little light to the top surface of the beetle (you may need a helper to hold the light source). Since you are finding "lots" of them they are likely infesting something inside the house such as stored food or dry pet food. Post a follow up if you can get a another image.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jack DeAngelis


I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.


20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.


Ph.D. in Entomology

©2017 All rights reserved.