Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Little brown bugs around the window sill

Question
Brown bug
Brown bug  
QUESTION: Hi Jack,
I live in  Ontario Canada and recently moved to a new house (new build).
As the weather has started to warm up, I am noticing more and more of these tiny dark brown bugs in the home.  They are very small (not more than a few mm) and slow moving. They are more of a nuisance than anything. They are mostly around the window sills in the bathroom. If I look really closely, I can find one or two around most windows in the home. I'm guessing that they are attracted to the moisture but not sure. A picture is attached. Can you please tell me what this bug is called. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Rachel

ANSWER: Rachel,

This is a beetle but I can't see enough details (too dark) to id further. However, it is very likely one of the several species that infest stored foods like dry pet food and so forth (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/cigarette_drugstore_beetle.html for examples). If you have pets be sure to check the areas where the food is stored. If you can get a clearer image I'd be glad to take another look.

Jack DeAngelis

Black bug
Black bug  

Brown bug
Brown bug  
QUESTION: Hi Jack,
Thank you for your response. I do not have any pets. The only stored food in the house is in the kitchen and that area is clear of these bugs (thank goodness!). I took a closer look at the bugs and it looks like 2 types. Little black ones that move very slowly and little brown ones that move faster and can fly.  I've attached images of both. I sprayed the areas around the windows but the bugs are not dying. Any idea what's attracting them and how to get rid of them?

Thanks!
Rachel

Answer
Both are beetles, you may be seeing a difference between males and females. These beetles can infest a wide variety of stored foods so be sure to check any storage areas or areas where food might have spilled. For example, I once saw a very significant infestation of similar beetles in some cookies that had been hidden under a bed and forgotten. Some species infest whole grains like rice and corn so check those areas if you store whole grains. Once you find the source it can be discarded, generally no treatment is needed but if you do treat try one the botanical insecticide (http://www.livingwithbugs.com/botanical_insecticide.html) as they tend to be a bit safer to use.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis