Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Mouse bot fly

Question
How large are the larva of the mouse bot fly. Can they infect rats as well? I found a dead rat on my porch this morning (cat kill I believe) with the side of it face neck and shoulder "chewed" on, that could not have been done by a bot fly larva, could it. I guess I forgot to mention there was a larva looking creature a few inches from the rat that looked very much like the picture I just saw sent from another person. This one was at least an inch though. Sorry no picture available. My husband accidentally let it get away...now I think I have to move because I don't know if can stay there knowing there is such a creepy creature crawling around my home! I like the old saying ignorance is bliss.

Answer
Dear Angela - A fully grown larva of a rodent bot fly can be an inch or so long, and quite plump. They live just under the skin of their host and breathe through a small hole they keep open in the host's skin. When mature, they enlarge this hole just enough so that they can squeeze out - see http://tinyurl.com/ksn7pqd for an image. They are not capable of causing any kind of a chewing wound. Also, a larva that has left its host, voluntarily or otherwise, is not capable of of infesting any other host - it will either undergo pupation or die. The adult fly (see http://tinyurl.com/l3kguos for an image) lacks functional mouthparts and cannot feed or bite, living only long enough to find a mate and reproduce.
Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad