Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Please help identify these mites~

Question
Mite1
Mite1  

Mite2
Mite2  
I've found these all over my Moluccan cockatoo's cage, but they're not bird mites - thankfully! They're much too small. I have images taken through a microscope at different magnifications, but because the bugs were moving - even under a glass slide cover, fixed with both 70% isopropyl R-OH and olive oil (what I had on hand), my stills do not seem to have the clarity I achieved when shooting video. I tried to pick the best two stills, since that seems to be the limit of this interface.

If you don't have enough detail in these stills, I can upload video to a file sharing site. The detail is very good in the videos.

The mites are not fast moving, but they're easily visible because of their movement. They seem to be light beige to white in color, but under magnification, are largely transparent (see images).

First image is shot with both bottom light that my microscope provides, along with a secondary side light source coming in a a 90 angle.

Second image is bottom lit only, and has a grain of NaCL for size.

Hairs are very long, and extend dorsally, with quite a few anterior hairs as well. Long hairs also are seen under 100x magnification on each leg segment, extending from femur to tarsus.

There's a chance they came in a bag of food that I recently purchased for her, but I have been unable to isolate them in a feed source. I have (hope springs eternal) latched on to the possibility that they're some sort of hunting mite, and I am not facing a full-scale home invasion.

Thanks for what you do - I have a lot of biology under my belt, but have been unable to find an online key that tells me what these are....

Blessings,

**Susanne**

Answer
I wish I could help you Susanne but I have never mites like these with such long hairs and I have  looked at all mite photos that I have. I believe that you will have to check with an expert in Acarology.. I do not know who you have in Hawaii but here in Ohio at the Ohio State University we have an Department of Acarology. I would suggest that you send your photos to
 Hans Klompen
Department of Acarology
The Ohio State University
Columbus, Ohio
 43210

Please let me know if you find out anything
Use my Email  waltjh@sbcglobal.net

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz