Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Roach or beetle??

Image 1
Image 1  

Image 2
Image 2  
Can you please let me know what kind of bug this is? I am located in West Virginia. I found one inside and one outside! The one outside was just crawling and the one inside was just sitting still in one place.it does have wings! That's all the information I can think to give with attaching a photo! Thanks you for your time!!!

Looks like a beetle but the plastic makes it a little blurry. If you are concerned about cockroaches see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/cockroaches.html. Notice in the photo of the cockroach that the wings lack any sort of hard cover and they appear to overlap each other. In your photo the wing covers are hard and meet in a straight line down the back, both are characteristic of beetles.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology