Entomology (Study of Bugs)/strange cocoon

Question
in my tree
in my tree  
Can you tell me what this is? I found this rather large thing in my tree in upstate New York.  The second image is one of several cocoons that werte in the big one.  Thank you.

Answer
Hi Bonnie
It certainly looks like a paper wasp nest but it is atypical for bald faced hornets. I wish I could examine it up close. If it is a wasp nest in New York it has to be there from last season since the wasps would have died out except for the Queen I fso you can examine it closely.See if it is made of paper.  Did you just notice it or did it appear recently. You mentioned a second image. Do you have another photo. I need more information

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz