Entomology (Study of Bugs)/strange cocoon

in my tree
in my tree  
Can you tell me what this is? I found this rather large thing in my tree in upstate New York.  The second image is one of several cocoons that werte in the big one.  Thank you.

Hi Bonnie
It certainly looks like a paper wasp nest but it is atypical for bald faced hornets. I wish I could examine it up close. If it is a wasp nest in New York it has to be there from last season since the wasps would have died out except for the Queen I fso you can examine it closely.See if it is made of paper.  Did you just notice it or did it appear recently. You mentioned a second image. Do you have another photo. I need more information

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ