Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Swarms of bugs in the Central Valley

bug swarm
bug swarm  
Bakersfield and now north of us are swarms of bugs the size of aphids.  They look like baby cockroaches. I donot think they are. The are everywhere. sidewalks, walls, inside the house.  You can not step without stepping on several.

Hi Michael,

I would like to help you out with this. However, I am having trouble seeing detail in the photo you attached. Could you please tell me if these insects have wings? Do they fly? Where do you find them? Or send another photo if you can get one that is more clear!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger

I can answer questions about invertebrates native to California, including insects commonly found in homes. If you have an identification request, please attach a photo to your question.

I was involved in collection and identification of invertebrates for the United States Geological Survey, Biological Resources Division for six years. Also, I provided these same services intermittently for the UC Davis John Muir Institute of the Environment for many years. I have been a member of since 2009.

Department of the Interior: United States Geological Survey, Davis Field Station; University of California, Davis Aggie Alumni Association; UC Davis Center for Neuroscience; U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs

I have two B.A.'s from the University of California, Davis and two Associate's degrees from Sacramento City College.

Special Thanks for Achieving Results award from the Department of the Interior