Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Trashline Orbweaver

Hi Bug Eric, looks like I have some of those trashline spiders in my pool lanai (Florida), one must have gotten in when we built the pool 4 years ago, now they are everywhere, with their web hanging, we clean them and a week later the lanai is decorated again with their webs... any suggestions on how to get rid of them...

I'm a bit perplexed because I think of trashline orbweavers as more temperate spiders, not tropical.  You may be describing another spider....

I guess my question would be:  Would you rather be bothered by the mosquitoes, flies, and other insects that the spiders are currently catching in their webs?  Honestly, I'm not sure I understand your objection.

A cosmetic "nuisance" is, in my opinion, not enough to warrant the elimination of any organism that is not posing a threat to people, pets, or property.

My two cents, but that is the gospel I'm spreading to everyone.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.