Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug Identification

China Beetle
China Beetle  
Can you help me identify this beetle that I saw on the streets of Beijing, China? The images I have are a bit blurry because he was moving really fast. This is the best one I have.

Dear Glenna - This is not a beetle, it is a nymph of a planthopper in the family Fulgoridae. Specifically, it appears to be Lycorma delicatula - see http://tinyurl.com/ng6latl for an image. The adult is known as the spotted lanternfly, see  http://tinyurl.com/onjzeyr for an image. A bative of China/Koreas, this species is capable of causing serious damage to many species of trees, and recently has been reported from Pennsylvania.

Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.