Entomology (Study of Bugs)/bug identification please

Question
1
1  

2
2  
Hello.  I live in Northern Delaware.  I spotted this right next to my front door, dead. I'm very very nervous because it looks like a roach.  Is it one? Our home is very clean and I feel like how can it be here. I'm soooo upset right now. I hope it isn't one. Thanks in advance.

Answer
Serenity,

This is not a cockroach. It is a beetle but I can't see enough details to id further but it could be the European chafer beetle. If you have outdoor lighting next to this door the beetle was probably attracted to the light. Also, cockroaches generally don't occur outdoors as far north as Delaware, see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/cockroaches.html for some general info about cockroaches and cockroach control.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis